This motor-driven luxury boat is the choice of wealthy tourists who want to go on a special weekend journey. Nowadays, the most modern schooner boasts of the most opulent amenities such as Jacuzzi whirlpool baths, spa clinics, helipads, sports gymnasiums and home theaters. This makes yacht charters a very expensive diversion. If you have made up your mind to lease this kind of sailboat, there are a number of factors to consider.
- The first aspect is the size of the yacht. Small vessels typically have two cabins and each one can accommodate a couple for a total of four guests. Standard dimensions of luxury boats range from approximately 75 to 200 feet in length. However, there are small yachts which can be used for a maximum of two days and measure from 40 up to almost 75 feet.
- The daily rate of yacht charter services for a 24-meter boat can go up by as much as $ 15,000. This rate depends on vessel availability and current season. These boats are more expensive to rent during summer. Thus, it is important to set a budget before talking to any charter company. It is important to determine your capacity to lease before entering into a contract with any booking agent.
- Make reservations in advance and give the exact dates when you rent a yacht. The minimum charter date is usually three days but most companies charge a premium when the trip is less than one week. It is advisable to book much earlier like six months before an actual trip.
- You have to provide the number of guests and indicate the number of kids joining the cruise. A number of charter firms prescribe a minimum age for children. Members of the crew will not act as babysitters and these children should be under the care of the adult passengers.
- It is imperative to know your destination and the weather forecast in the area. Major charter areas are the Australian and Mediterranean region, New England and Greece during the summer season. On the other hand, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Florida are ideal for winter.
- Clients are asked to give down payments of at least 50 percent when agreements are formalized. Meanwhile, the balance should be settled from 30 to 45 days before the actual charter dates. Deposits for super yachts are made through wire transfers while companies providing small yacht cruises do not accept credit card payments for initial installations.
- There are also fees for advanced provisioning permission or APA which includes fuel cost, communications systems, docking fees, food, and liquor. This is generally 35 percent of the lease cost and must be paid in full one month to 45 days ahead of the charter date. Any excess payment for the APA is refunded to the client.
- You also have to expect extra costs such as tips for crew members which can be up to 20 percent of the charter price. Tipping is rarely practiced in Europe but a bonus of five to ten percent is suggested.